Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pepper prints and salsa

Today we continued on with our farm and learning about what grows on a farm. Because my students love salsa, we made our own. I love cooking with my students. I do it often because I personally cannot cook. I like the idea that I can get a three year old into cooking so they won't turn into me: A 24 year old who is about to go out to eat because no one is home to cook for me. We used an onion, a red pepper, and a tomato, along with other spices. I cut up the vegetables, and the students put those vegetables into my food processor. Then we all took turns pushing the "pulse" button on the food processor. This is, by far, their favorite part of cooking.
Tada! Chips and salsa. It wasn't the world's greatest salsa, but it did spur a discussion about how we could make it better next time. And if that's not creating little cooks, I don't know what is.

We also did some painting, because I love painting almost as much as I love cooking. We took an extra green pepper, cut it in half, and used it to stamp on the paper.
This is my example to show them what they were going to be doing.

This is what most of them did! I love how I can always depend on my students to use whatever I give them to paint with to cover the entire sheet of paper. They had fun though, and that's the part that matters! And they can all tell you where our vegetables come from: "The farm!"

No comments:

Post a Comment